how to make mobility easier for artists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to make mobility easier for artists

while waiting for the website, this forum is the very starting point of the interactive and innovative community network “e.mobility” is going to be. you are invited to look at the topics and to reply them. everyone can read and answer to everyone

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Cdiscount : -30€ dès 300€ d’achat sur une sélection Apple
Voir le deal

tell us about your motivations to become mobile

Go down 
+2
Romeo Gongora
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

tell us about your motivations to become mobile Empty
PostSubject: tell us about your motivations to become mobile   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:51 am

According to an artist, why being mobile is important?
What are the aims of such a process?
What are your motivations to become mobile?
Back to top Go down
https://e-mobility-forum.forumactif.org
Romeo Gongora

PostSubject: tell us about your mobility experiences, mobility objectives, and your definitions of mobility   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 9:38 pm

On the level of my artistic creation, being mobile through artist's residencies is for me a source of energy and renewal. Mobility decontextualize my usual framework and I find myself questioning and seeking new solutions. My motivations? Openness, exchange, challenge, ...
Back to top Go down
Riiko Sakkinen

Riiko Sakkinen

PostSubject: Too Much Mobility?   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 am

Romeo, what is your "usual framework"? I thought that you live in residencies and have no home.

My question is that can too much mobility lead to a situation where the artist lives outside of the real world, everyday life and their problems.
Back to top Go down
http://www.riikosakkinen.com
kravnav

PostSubject: Re: tell us about your motivations to become mobile   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 11:50 am

well I guess if you have too much mobility, whatever that might be, than that becomes your reality and why not?
Back to top Go down
Riiko Sakkinen

Riiko Sakkinen

PostSubject: Re: tell us about your motivations to become mobile   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 11:57 am

That depends what classes or masses are your target audience and how you see the role of the art and the artist in the society.
Back to top Go down
http://www.riikosakkinen.com
Romeo Gongora

PostSubject: mobility as way of life...?   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Nowadays, I wonder if mobility is not becoming (or shaping) another way of living in the "real world" and experiencing "every day life" ?
Back to top Go down
gwennafoxe

PostSubject: varied contexts   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:24 am

Hi all
Sorry for joining in a little late, but I've got an ocean and a continent between us. Anyways I just wanted to contribute with this:
personally mobility has become a necessity, first because I am one of those artist who works from specific socio-cultural contexts. In other words new places (for me) generate new contexts from which I can strive. Of course, one could argue that I could also stay in the same spot and keep digging in. This is where the second element of my research comes into play. Because of my personal experience (bi-national-bi lingual/ Euro-American) I am particularly invested in the post-colonial question, and its global derivatives. Therefore I am interested in seeing and immersing myself in the nuanced network that is the colonial legacy (i.e. the United States and England are very different, yet they are historically and culturally connected; the Netherlands and Indonesia are extremely different but they share a history, and now people, since there is movement to and fro between the two countries, etc.) This context is my material. That is why I just can't stay put in Paris, or Chicago forever. And sometimes I need to revisit places I have been to before. In one of the many proposals that I've written lately, I said something like: displacement is at the core of contemporary human experience. We have to remember that with the globalization of finances comes the globalization of the work force. Workers have to produce this capital (be they manual or intellectual labourers), so they are on the move too. Recently, Raymond Depardon and Paul Virilio had an exhibition together at the Fondation Cartier in Paris. In there they mapped out the displacement of migrants over the next 50 years (if I recall correctly) and they estimated the number of migrants at about 1 billion (I'm not exactly sure of the figure, but it was a big number of that order), that's one billion people constantly moving (not necessarily the same people), but there will be a perpetual flow of 1 billion people. This is obviously going to have emotional, psychological, and hopefully cultural repercussion. Artists are cultural producers, so they need to be part of this. Or at least some artists do. I'm one of them. Had I been born a few centuries back, I probably would have been an explorer. Now, I'm a global traveler (which is very different from a tourist, I dont' just take snapshots and get expensive massages at exotic resorts). I travel in order to study and engage with various contexts. This takes time, thus the need for residencies, and networking tools like this forum to keep in touch, to establish contacts, etc.
Back to top Go down
bojanajana

PostSubject: bubbles in time   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Being mobile is very important for an artist’s work, because it takes us out from the comfort zone of our studios, our house, our usual surrounding. Going somewhere for the first time, makes you an alien, which means you need to discover the place and find your own place in there, to adapt to certain customs, and to try and breathe the space around you. In my own experience and from my fellow artists, we don’t travel like other tourists, we look carefully around us and don’t run from one sightseeing tour to the other, and later just show photos to our friend from where we’ve been. I think what artists bring is experience from a certain trip, and that inevitably reflects in one’s work, if not directly than indirectly inspired. Of course, being in another place, can also be a bubble in time, but I find those bubbles most inspiring and productive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tell us about your motivations to become mobile   tell us about your motivations to become mobile I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tell us about your motivations to become mobile
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
how to make mobility easier for artists :: mobility concepts, perceptions and implications :: tell us about your mobility experiences, mobility objectives, and your definitions of mobility (click here to answer)-
Jump to: