how to make mobility easier for artists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to make mobility easier for artists

while waiting for the website, this forum is the very starting point of the interactive and innovative community network “e.mobility” is going to be. you are invited to look at the topics and to reply them. everyone can read and answer to everyone

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
-29%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
PC portable – MEDION 15,6″ FHD Intel i7 – 16 Go / 512Go (CDAV : ...
499.99 € 699.99 €
Voir le deal

tell us about your difficulties to access mobility

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

tell us about your difficulties to access mobility Empty
PostSubject: tell us about your difficulties to access mobility   tell us about your difficulties to access mobility I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:59 am

According to you, what could be an obstacle to mobility ?
As an artist, what aspects of mobility programmes raise reluctances or fears?
Back to top Go down
https://e-mobility-forum.forumactif.org
kravnav

PostSubject: Re: tell us about your difficulties to access mobility   tell us about your difficulties to access mobility I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 5:05 pm

There are definitely not as many attractive residencies for performing arts, as there are for visual arts. That is partialy because performers usually work in groups, even big groups. For soloists yaeh I see more possibilities, but for me personally that is not so interesting. I would need a huge space and technic like cameras, lights, sound and enough money and space for a group.
Back to top Go down
Romeo Gongora

PostSubject: mobility and art world...   tell us about your difficulties to access mobility I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 4:05 pm

What are the impact of residencies in the creation of the artist? and how this production integrates the art world afterwards? is there a place for it...
Back to top Go down
gwennafoxe

PostSubject: difficulties   tell us about your difficulties to access mobility I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 9:04 am

Aside from the application process, which depending on where one is applying can be very bureucratic and lengthy, the main difficulty I face is not so much getting into a residency, but especially how to survive between residencies. It is not always so easy to jump from one residency to the next, often there is "dead" time between the two, and since the money alloted for a residency is usually dedicated to a specific project, and does not generate any benefit such as unemployment relief in the home country, how do we survive (i.e eat, pay rent) between two residencies? If we have some kind of job, then we don't have the time to leave for long residency periods. Given the way I work, I need to spend time (5-6 months) in the place where I'm gong to execute the project. So I think that at the European level, this should be addressed. How can an artist sustain his practice during his off time, between residencies. I know in France we can always fall back on a form of state welfare, but it is somewhat of a schizophrenic situation, and it is looked down by the rest of society. As far as I am concerned not something viable.
The other main difficulty I see in successfully applying to residencies is finding a place that is in tune with what we do (and vice versa) If our work is off the beaten track, we might be able to find some residencies, but there is definitely going to be some off time, during which we still need to survive. Creating structures during which we can create and be paid for this, is great, but we also need to think about the "in between" time. Actors and musicians can apply for unemployment between gigs, but visual artists can't, because all of the visual world is based on the idea that we sell our work, and live off that profit. However there is an increasing number of visual practices that are now immaterial and do not aim at being sold and collected. I think these new practices can strive at residencies, but the transition phase between two residencies need to be addressed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tell us about your difficulties to access mobility   tell us about your difficulties to access mobility I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tell us about your difficulties to access mobility
Page 1 of 1